“Tis the season for your dog to get into trouble with the local wildlife!
If Rover noses around in the bushes, be prepared that he may turn up smelling like a skunk. Many grooming products will temporarily cover the smell but the faint odor of skunk can linger for weeks. This homemade recipe actually lifts the skunk spray oils out of your dog’s fur and rids them of the smell permanently…or at least until the next time!
Mix the following ingredients in a plastic bucket:
1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (open a fresh bottle)
¼ cup of Baking Soda1-2 teaspoons of Liquid Soap (Softsoap and Ivory are recommended)
Note: for large dogs, the recipe can be doubled or you can add one quart of lukewarm water to ensure complete body coverage.
- Apply the solution to the entire coat and work it deeply into the fur.
- Leave on for at least 5 minutes or until the odor is gone.
- Rinse your pet thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Smell your pet! If he still reeks of skunk, repeat steps 1-3!
- Pour any remaining solution down the drain with running water.
NEVER store the solution in a closed bottle as pressure can build up and cause the container to explode.
Note: The solution will sting if it gets into your dog’s eyes. If your dog’s face is heavily soiled, use a toothbrush soaked in solution to clean the hair around the eyes.
Do you need vet advice? Post a comment with your veterinary questions and we will send them to Dr. Donna Spector to be answered in a future column.