DR. DONNA: SALMONELLA SCARE AND TIPS FOR PET PARENTS

While Halo is NOT subject to the recent pet food recalls (we do NOT manufacture at Diamond Pet Foods), and Halo prides itself on the quality and safety of our ingredients, everyone should be aware that pet foods can become contaminated with Salmonella in a number of ways.

With the increasingly frequent reports of Salmonella in pet food, pet owners should take a few precautions every day to keep all members of their family safe:

• Wash your pet’s bowls and food scoops every day to decrease bacterial numbers
• Wash your hands before and after touching your pet’s bowls, food or any treats or supplements.
• Store canned and dry food properly to minimize bacterial growth
• Avoid certain high-risk foods and treats to minimize bacterial exposure

For more detailed information on proper food handling, see Keep it clean for safety!

This entry was posted in Dr Donna Spector, Natural Pet Food, News, Pet Food Recall, Pet Health, Pet Nutrition and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to DR. DONNA: SALMONELLA SCARE AND TIPS FOR PET PARENTS

1. Carla Alvarez says:

hi!!!!! I am writing from Canada !!! I would like to know from where Halo pet foods get the ingredients to make the food with? Normally my dogs eat home made food but having 5 , sometimes I just don’t feel like cooking , so sometimes they have to eat dog food! They are no really into it !! I am against animal cruelty, so to know from where you guys get the food is very important to me !! Thanks !!!

• admin says:

Hi Carla,

Thank you for your question, all our foods and treats are proudly made in the USA from meat, poultry, fish and veggies from the US. The exception to this is our lamb from New Zealand, some of the pea proteins from Canada. Our foods are made in USDA/FDA certified facilities. All the manufacturing facilities are regulated by the FDA and are regularly inspected by the US government. We always use the best ingredients available.

Our food animals are humanely raised and slaughtered and not from factory farms. The have no added hormones. Hope this helps.

Linda
      Halo, Purely for Pets

• Barbara says:

My dog has been eating Halo Spots Stew since Andi Brown first started making it in her kitchen. The ingredients are the best in any canned dog food (and I have researched many). I also use Halo Dream Coat and between that and the stew, he is so soft and so healthy. He only goes to the vet for rabies vaccines. All the money I have saved over the years on vet care was well worth the slightly higher price I paid for this great quality food. Not only has he enjoyed the stew for 10 plus years but I feel that I am doing my part in keeping him healthy.

2. Jacqueline M. Jakle says:

Hi. I just now discovered this info about Ellen Dengeneres owning a pet food company! My 10 year old Beagle, Holly, was used to my careful home made cooking for over two years, all organic foods, but she developed food allergies, so our vet suggested she eat Natural Balance. This has been going on since September 2011, but the recall this past week scared me, so I stopped using it. Our vet gave me some Iams Veterinary quality fish kibble but I am still looking for a safe food for my Holly that won’t affect her allergies. Does the Halo brand offer something for pets with food allergies? Thanks for any info you can provide.

• admin says:

Dear Jacqueline,

Thanks for your inquiry. You didn’t mention what proteins your dog is allergic to so I am unable to tell you which, if any, of the Halo diets might be suitable for her. Some dogs with food allergies also do best on foods with only a limited number of ingredients and Halo does not fit this description. I would recommend you show the Halo food ingredients to your veterinarian and let them decide if they feel it is acceptable for her. I have included a link to some additional information on food allergies in dogs.

Hope this helps.
      Dr. Donna Spector

3. Whitney says:

Hi! My Golden Retriever/Shiba Inu mix has thrown up large piles of her dry Halo lamb dog food about 2 or 3 times in the past couple of weeks. It looks undigested and she throws up about 3-5 times total. Her vomit starts off as whole food and ends as light brown liquid. She is acting perfectly normal otherwise. She is healthy, active and 15 months old. She has eaten Halo since she was 2 months old and this seems to be a more recent problem. Has Halo had any contamination scares recently I should be concerned about? Could my dog be allergic to this food? We give her smoked beef bones from the butcher shop, I am concerned she has an intestinal blockage but she is not in pain at all. Should I take her to the vet or watch her more closely?

• admin says:

Hi Whitney,

Halo has not had a contamination issues or changes to the Lamb formula during this time. There are many possible causes of vomiting in dogs of this age and I would recommend contacting your veterinarian for a complete evaluation.

Good luck.
      Dr. Donna Spector

4. Anne says:

Any suggestions on diet for a 12 year old cat who is dreadfully overweight? The vet and I have been struggling with this problem for years. He just continues to add on the pounds no matter what he is fed, which is both dry and canned.

• admin says:

Hi Anne,

Thanks for writing in. Here are a few tips:
      1) figure out your cat’s ideal body weight. Most domestic shorthair cats should weigh between 8 and 10 pounds.
      2) Work with your vet to calculate how many calories (called his resting energy requirement) he needs at this ideal body weight.
      3) Most cats must eat only 75 to 80% of this calculated value in order to get the weight loss started in earnest.

Here is my article on Weight Loss Tips for more information: http://www.halopets.com/pet-education/pet-articles/weight_loss_tips.html.

Good luck and hope this helps.
      Dr. Donna Spector