Independence Day is around the corner and while we are having fun with food, friends and fireworks, our furry friends are probably not having a good time. According to the Seattle Times, animal shelters report that that their busiest day for taking in runaway dogs is July 5th.
Here are some simple tips to help relieve your pet’s stressful state.
- Keep them inside. Loud noises can really startle your dog or cat so make sure they are kept in a safe and secure location in the home.
- Drown out the sound of the fireworks. Turning on the radio or television can distract your pet from outside noise.
- Make sure their tags are up-to-date. Sometimes we change our phone number or move to another location and often forget to update our pets’ ID tags. Now is a good time to get this done. In case your pet does runaway, you can easily be contacted.
- Take recent photo. Make sure you have a current photo of all your pets in the event they do leave the home.
- Stay with your pet. If your furry bestie is known to have severe anxiety during fireworks, staying with him can provide comfort and support.
Does your pet get anxiety during this time? Do you have any pet safety tips to share? Post in the comments below.